Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 24- The Long & the Short of It

Day 24- The Long & the Short of It


I've been working with the tall figures for a while in my sketch book. They add another element to my growing number of marks.


I am entering a show that focuses on the origins of an artist's work. I need to write an artist statement to submit along with the paintings.


When I look at my current work I see definite influence from my childhood. My Grandmother was a quilter and my mom is terrific at hand crafts.  In particular, I see in my work the influence of the "stitch" from quilting and work such as needlepoint or crewel.

Another aspect of my work comes from growing up on a farm and lines that are inherent to the fields and countryside. Long rows of crops, rolling hills and the patterns that are seen from a distance play into the world of my work.

I also see the influence of being a freelance graphic designer for many years. The graphic nature of the work along with the minimal use of detail definitely is from that experience. The dots are a mystery to me, I've always had a passion for polka-dots-just love 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment